I love receiving
mail, so you can imagine my delight when I found a parcel waiting outside my
door when I was about to enter a snowstorm. I opened it at once to
find that my copy of David Roy Parsons' fourth album Time And Travel (2011) had
safely arrived. Time And Travel is
a collection of songs written from the inspiration of Wells, B.C., Ottawa’s Chateau
Laffeyette, Vancouver’s Railway Club, Vancouver’s Our Lady of Constant Sorrow School,
Guatemala, Botswana and the people who inhabit these places. While a wide geographical landscape
inspired Time And Travel, the sounds from this album makes me crave a rural
destination.
The storytelling
of David Roy Parsons makes me feel as if I’m in a cozy bar or on a road trip
through Canada’s interior, tracing the landscape of Parsons’ songs. On the first track “Joel And Elsie And
The Ballad Of The Giant Radish,” the fairytale-like sounds of a flute whirl through
the garden of the ballad. Parsons’
voice is in conversation with supporting female vocals (Karyn Ellis) as they
play the parts of Joel and Elsie, a couple sharing stories about growing the
best vegetables they can for one another.
This track features shakers, congas and an accordion that together lend
a more mysterious sound to Parsons’ music. Time And Travel features these more eclectic sounds
with those from typical bluegrass instrumentation-viola, banjo, mandolin, and
the slide guitar.
In “The Chateau
Laffeyette,” inspired by one of the oldest still operating bars in North
America, Parsons sings a country song of the bar’s place in Ottawa’s history,
those who frequent it as well as his own experiences there playing music,
sometimes getting money, sometimes getting black eyes. Each song is crafted in rhymes and
consistently melodic. I’m a sucker
for the slide guitar and the pedal steel guitar, so this album is a real treat
for me. The more I listen to this
album, the fonder I grow of it. “Shopping
Girl Friend Blues” is one of my favourite tracks. The sweetness of the banjo, slide guitar and clarinet used
in this song remind me of songs from the young Daniel Johnston.
Parsons acknowledges
all the people and places that inspired him in detail on the back cover of his
C.D. His sense of community travels
everywhere he does and is as evident here as it is in his honest
storytelling.
David Roy
Parsons: http://www.myspace.com/davidroyparsons
Daniel Johnston:
http://www.hihowareyou.com/

No comments:
Post a Comment