Last Tuesday evening I had the pleasure
of production managing the Emma-Lee + Harlan Pepper + Motel Raphael
show at Le Divan Orange. This review will be a short one, but I felt
like I couldn't not express a few words of praise for these acts.
Montreal's Motel Raphael opened up the
show. Having missed their previous shows in Montreal, I was
especially excited to alas see these three lovely ladies play. I was
blown away. If managing the Oh My Darling show last September didn't
already make me want to be in a country band, Motel Raphael sure
does. These girls have perfected their harmonies to the T. Their
songs are sung like country classics with the addition
of an upbeat tambourine, making their melodies infectious. Clara's
warm vocals are complimented by Emily and Maya's that carry a sweet
country twang. This evening, Motel Raphael was happy to introduce
new member, Robin, upright bass player, to their band. Motel
Raphael's music makes me want to lay down in a long grass field for a
while.
The
young Toronto boys, Harlan Pepper, followed. Hearing their music, I
almost couldn't believe these boys have only just turned 19. They
have even landed themselves a record deal. It is easy to see why.
Adorned in cowboy shirts, these boys play blusie-country/rock 'n'
roll music as if they lived several decades ago themselves. I'm sure
you'll be hearing much more from these boys in the future. They're
going to make you want to start learning how to play that harmonica
that's been sitting in your drawer for years.
I
wish I could have seen more of headliner Emma-Lee's set! From what I
did see, Emma-Lee comes with a bold voice and along with her band,
has many catchy pop-ie folk songs. I would be sure to see any of
these acts next time they're playing a show in your town.
Motel
Raphael:http://www.myspace.com/motelraphael
Oh My
Darling: http://www.myspace.com/ohmydarlingmusic/music
Harlan
Pepper: http://www.myspace.com/itsharlanpepper
Emma-Lee:
http://www.myspace.com/emmalee

Get me out of the city to that sweet country air!
ReplyDeleteThere's half a foot of snow outside, but listening to these tunes & reading this sunny review makes me want to put on my summer dress.
ReplyDelete